The event was participated in by more than 40 delegates and experts coming from the province’s departments and agencies, and from the Project Management Unit of the project’s Technical Assistance Board. Participants also included those from the provincial departments of Agriculture and Rural Development, and Natural Resources and Environment, which are the recipients of the study results. This study and consultancy are part of the Belgium-funded project of the SRDP – IWMC.
Photo: The Project Coordination Unit of the SRDP – IWMC in combination with consulting units to organize the workshop on launching and transferring study and consultancy results, contributing to responding to climate change
In the expectation that all the study and consultancy results will be put into practice, contributing to the effectiveness in coping with climate change in the province, at the workshop, the results of the study of “Assessment of the current situation and construction of detailed planning on recovery and expansion of the mangrove forest land area, and mangrove preservation park in the Rao Cai river lower-reaches area in Ha Tinh province” has been transferred to the provincial Department of Natural Resources and Environment by the Project Coordination Unit and the University of Science under the Hue University.
Also, the result of the study of “The technical consultancy on climate data and analysis in the current time and the future, in service of water resources management in Ha Tinh” has also been transferred to the provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development by the Project Coordination Unit and the Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climate Change.
At the workshop, delegates and representatives from the provincial departments and agencies highly commended all the study and consultancy results, as well as the practicality and helpfulness of the results, which can contribute to building up and implementing solutions for responding to climate change in the province. Mr. Tran Thanh Hanh, director of the Department of Natural Resources and Environment, affirmed that “All the study results are quite helpful to the province’s activities on planning and developing natural resources and protecting the environment.”
Mr. Phan Dinh Hinh, chairman of the People’s Committee of Ho Do commune in Loc Ha district, said that in the commune, mangrove forests importantly serve as a firm wall to protect dykes and also as a source of livelihood for the inhabitants. At present, several organisations have proposed to combine with the commune in developing mangrove forests. The study results will lay firm groundwork for the locality to attract investment into developing the forests, which will help boost the commune’s socio-economic development in a sustainable manner.
Photo: A representative of the inhabitants in the Rao Cai river area is talking about the role of the study results towards the locality
Along with the implementation of the study and consultancy activities, in close co-operation with the province’s’ departments and agencies, and with local and foreign experts, the project has been contributing to supporting Ha Tinh - one of Vietnam’s provinces that are the most seriously hit by climate change – further strengthen its capacity in climate change response, and ensure sustainable development.
The goals of the study of “Assessment of the current situation and construction of detailed planning on recovery and expansion of the mangrove forest land area, and mangrove preservation park in the Rao Cai river lower-reaches area in Ha Tinh province”:
- Making overall assessment about the existing situation, developments and pressure (of socio-economic development, climate change, environmental pollution, people’s awareness, and policies to protect mangrove forests) for mangrove forests in Ha Tinh province;
- Making assessment about the current situation in institution and policies regarding planning and protection of mangrove forests in Ha Tinh;
- Building up an overall strategy for supporting the recovery of mangrove forests in Ha Tinh, while considering all conditions about the ecosystem, people, policies and realities for the preservation and expansion of mangrove forests;
- Building up detailed planning an recovering and expending mangrove forests in river basin, with the participation of the public untill 2020 and a vision to 2030, and proposing mechanisms and policies in order to recover and develop forests;
- Making detailed planning of a mangrove forest preservation park for the lower
reaches of the Rao Cai river basin area;
- Conducting investigations and surveys, and building up detailed strategies about community-oriented communication campaigns on protecting mangrove forests for the Rao Cai river basin area.
The goals of the study of “The technical consultancy on climate data and analysis in the current time and the future, in service of water resources management in Ha Tinh”:
- Providing inputs related to climatology, temperature and baseline rainfalls, in order to serve the construction of a hydraulic and hydrological model in the Rao Cai river basin area.
- Assessing flooding risks in Ha Tinh city in the climate conditions in the current time and the future.
- Helping to improve awareness of relevant departments and agencies about climate change forecast for the future.
(Compiling from stories posted in the website: http://www.iwmchatinh.org.vn)